Poly Art

without explicitly talking about it…we have started our study of the Elements and Principles of Design…

i have asked you all to begin the study of these Elements and Principles on edmodo and to begin discussing your poly art with regards to as many of these concepts as possible…

but first…lets take a look at a couple of examples of poly art…

the first example is one of a shiba inu…i have three shiba’s at home and really should have used a picture of one of them…but i was wanting to get started and didn’t have a good picture on me…while there is an absence of shadow within the image…i still chose to use it due the color differentiation in the fur…i figured this would work well with regards to determining the location of the triangles…

Shiba Inu - 1 - left eari started by loading the image into the autodesk sketchbook designer program…and created a vector layer on top of my image where i could begin creating my triangles…i chose a brighter red for my line so that it would be easier for me to see on top of my image…if i had chosen black i would have run into problems around the eyes and mouth…

i chose to start creating my triangles in the left ear of the shiba…really this location was chosen by random…i did want to start somewhere along the outside of the image to start creating the outline…i already had it set in my mind that i would not be including any of the background into my finished product…

triangles were drawn where i saw a consistent color within the image…if…for example…the orange of the fur changed in an area…i would create a new triangle to engulf that particular hue or shade…i found it was helpful to zoom into the image so that i could focus on the color differentiation without being distracted by the image itself…i also took care to make sure that all my triangles were “sealed” so when i did come around to applying a color with the paint-bucket…it wouldn’t spread to a larger area than it was intended…

Shiba Inu ears and part facei continued this process of creating triangles…building from the areas that had already been completed…i found this was easier than “bouncing” around the image as it was sometimes hard to make the triangles “line up” in a nice way when trying to combine areas…so i continued working from the ear and built into the face…

Shiba Inu finished

when i was finally finished creating and placing my triangles…i turned to the paint bucket tool and started applying color to my work…i would use the eye-dropper tool to sample a color from about the centre of the triangle and then apply that color to the enclosed area of that triangle…this was a bit tedious (though to be honest…so was the entire process…) but life was made a bit easier with the discovery of a few hot keys…i did do some minor tweaking with regards to the color of some of the triangles if i felt there wasn’t enough visual differentiation between the colors…but i tried to stay true to the image as much as possible…

i did have to go and turn off the “stroke” of the lines to hide the red lines of the triangles…this left a bit of a gap between the triangles that i’m not crazy about…but i haven’t found a way to eliminate that gap completely…so i guess i will have to live with it…

lastly…i switched from my vector layer to the canvas layer and changed the color of the background…i experimented with a few ideas…bright colors to dark…and settled upon one that appears to be in about the same family as the colors of the shiba’s fur…

turned out not bad for a first attempt…the discovery of the hot keys definitely made life much more enjoyable…can’t wait to choose my next image and give it a go!